Log in Check in

Akmola Region

  • History
  • Akim
  • Administrative division
  • Sacral places
  • Photo
  • Some interesting facts
  • Articles

 

THE HISTORY OF FORMATION OF AKMOLA REGION

Akmola region has a unique feature – its inherent sacred image.

                                                                                                 (N. Nazarbayev)

The territory of the modern Akmola region was reclaimed by an ancient man during the Paleolithic era, in the Acheulian-Mousterian period, as evidenced by the findings of archaic stone artifact in the upper reaches of Ishim River, middle reaches of Sarysu River.

In the middle ages in the territory of modern area there were Hordes (stakes) of the well-known khans, such as Abylay, Kasym, Kenesary who played a big role in the history of the Kazakh people.

The history of the region dates back to the XIX century, when a significant part of the economy was occupied by nomadic cattle breeding.

The natural boundary Akmola was named after the limestone hill, which preserved on its top traces of burial (white Mazar). According to the byzantine writer Procopius, the Ghuns called high mound, fortress – «Mola». Subsequently, the area of Akmola became the center of trade fairs. Traders from all regions of Kazakhstan, Russia, Central Asia, India and other countries came here. Selling and buying a huge number of cattle, the region was famous for the abundance and rich assortment of dairy products (kymys, shubat, etc.). It gave additional importance to the name of the place (literally «ak mol» — white abundance).

Akmola region was founded on October 21, 1868, and was finally formed in January of 1869. Initially it included Akmola, Kokchetav, Petropavlovsk and Omsk uyezds (districts). The region was the part of the Stepnoye General Government, occupied a vast territory of Central and Northern Kazakhstan. In the North it was bordered by Tobolsk Governorate, in the West by Turgay region, in the South by Syrdarya region and in the East by Semipalatinsk region.

The largest cities of the region were Omsk, Akmolinsk, Kokchetav, Petropavlovsk, Atbasar.

On January 1, 1869 the region was formed, including 5 uyezds (districts): Omsk, Petropavlovsk, Kokchetav, Sarysu (Atbasar) and Akmola.

The history of modern Akmola region is inseparable from its past, present and future.

In 1992, Tselinograd was renamed Akmola (since 1998—Astana), and the region— Akmola.

April 8, 1999, The Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev about the transfer of the regional center to the town of Kokshetau became a new stage in the political and social development of the region.

 

AKMOLA REGION’S AKIMS

  • Braun Andrey Georgiyevich (1992-1997)
  • Karibzhanov Zhanybek Salimovich (July – December 1997)
  • Gartman Vladimir Karlovich (December 1997 – September 1998)
  • Kulagin Sergey Vitalyevich (September 1998 – March 2004)
  • Yesenbayev Mazhit Tuleubekovich (March 2004–January 2008)
  • Rau Albert Pavlovich (January 2008 – March 2010)
  • Dyachenko Sergey Aleksandrovich (March 2010 – January 2012)
  • Kozhamzharov Kayrat Perneshovich (January 2012 – January 2013)
  • Aytmukhametov Kosman Kairtayevich (January 2013 – May 2014)
  • Kulagin Sergey Vitalyevich (May 2014 – March 2017)
  • Murzalin Malik Kenesbayevich (March 2017 – March 2019)
  • Marzhikpayev Yermek Boranbayevich (March 2019)

 

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION OF AKMOLA REGION

The region includes: 

– 2 cities of region significance Kokshetau and Stepnogorsk

– 8 district-level towns: Akkol, Atbasar, Derzhavinsk, Yesil, Yereymentau, Makinsk, Stepnyak, Shchuchinsk

– 17 districts:

 

  1. Akkol
  2. Arshaly
  3. Astrakhan
  4. Atbasar
  5. Bulandy
  6. Yegindykol
  7. Yenbekshilder
  8. Yereymentau
  9. Yesil
  10. Zhaksyn
  11. Zharkayn
  12. Zerendy
  13. Korgalzhyn
  14. Sandyktau
  15. Tselinograd
  16. Shortandy
  17. Burabay (Shchuchinsk)

 

SACRAL ODJECTS OF THE REPUBLICAN REGISTER 

Archeological and ethnographic complex Kumay

 

 

Yereymentau district

 

 

Burial of Olzhabay Batyr

 

Yereymentau district

Meadow of Abylay Khan  

Burabay (Shchuchinsk) district

 

 

The cave named after Kenesary Khan

 

Burabay (Shchuchinsk) district

 

 

The Okzhetpes rock

 

Burabay (Shchuchinsk) district

Mazar «Bespakyr»

 

v. Abay, Korgalzhyn district

The Mausoleum «BATYGAI»

Korgalzhyn district

 

 

Mausoleum of Kabanbay Batyr

 

 

 

 

 

v. Kabanbay, Tselinograd district

 

 

Mausoleum of Baubek Batyr

v. Ishimskoye,  Zhaksyn district

Nauan Khazret mosqueKokshetau

 

                   

                 

 

  • In 1870 the enterprising Cossack Zubov built the first water mill in the tract between lakes Borovoe and Big Chebachye. The other settlers stretched after the miller to the river Gromotukha, people began building permanent wooden huts. Thus, stanitsa Borovskaya (Borovoe) appeared.
  • In 1928 near the lake Borovoe different kinds of subjects were found in the mound of IV-V centuries. Scientists consider it was a rich woman’s grave.
  • Among the findings there were bronze cauldron, iron spear, horse-bits, 7 arrowheads, gold and silver decoration items, bone, glass, a gold tiara as well, earrings, amulets, which are the unique samples of the ancient epoch.
  • During the opening of the Koshkarbay burial ground, near the village of Kenetkol — scientists discovered vessels with the image of a swastika, which supposedly belonged to the ancient Aryans. At a depth of 45 centimeters, fragments of three vessels were found, on which there was an ornament of a symbolic image of the Sun and parts of the world, characteristic of the tribes of the Aryans of the Andronovo culture.
  • In Akmola region was discovered the burial of a Turkic warrior of the VI – VII centuries: the remains of a warrior were wrapped in birch bark; in the grave were found iron arrowheads, weapons and a bronze earring, and also in the mound a war horse in full gear— with rods, a wooden saddle, girths and iron stirrups was buried. Experts attribute such burials to the elite category.
  • On the shore of the lake Aynakol (Big Chebachye) a large meat-packing plant was built by an English concessionaire Bergle. The plant buildings were built of stone that was made from lime mortar, so it was almost impossible to disassemble it. The stone structure of the building stood until the end of the 60s of the last century and then was blown up, and the stones were used for construction works.
  • The first sanatorium for koumiss – treating was opened in Borovoye in 1910 by Doctor of Medicine Emelianov. Only in 1913 2 thousand people cured their health here.
  • Teniz is a relict and very ancient lake. There is the most northern population of flamingos in the world. About 60 thousand couples are flying to Korgalzhyn for nesting in late March.
  • The Kazakh white-headed cow is a breed of cattle which grazes on a pasture all year round and can go to 30 km in a day.
  • Teniz – Korgalzhyn lakes system of the Reservation is one the important sites of wetlands in the world. In 1971, according to the Ramsar Convention on protection of waterfowl, the territory was enrolled on the list of lands of international importance and on the list of the Important Bird Area.
  • The 2nd of February is the World Day of the Wetlands
  • Fund of biodiversity conservation of Kazakhstan and the Eurasian Corporation of natural resources (EIMRC) are the organizers of the festival “Flamingo” being held  in the Korgalzhyn Reserve and  is going to be an annual event.  The goal of the festival – to pay attention to the development of environmental culture of the Korgalzhyn Reserve.
  • In the novel by Jules Verne “Michael Strogoff: The Courier of the Czar” (1876), one of the main hero is Tatar Czar – Theophanes. But only few people know that under the name of Theophar Khan, Jules Verne described the last Kazakh Khan – Kenesary.
  • Vladimir Ivanovich Vernadsky was one of the most outstanding scientist and naturalist, who was evacuated to Borovoye during the Great Patriotic War. Vernadsky could finish his main work in Borovoye “The Chemical Structure of the Earth’s Biosphere and its Environment.”

Introduction